This character uses three dynamic hair curves to approximate a wavy inflatable tube man. The final version used cleaned up baked simulations which fire when the user scores tricks in Baller Beats.
I don't often have the opportunity to design characters at work so Wavy was a lucky break. He changed little from my initial sketch (pictured right). After I proved out the animation simulation I created these variations, using the same process I set up to change team colours on props.
This environment was created as a reward system for FIFA Wii. Starting with a sparsely populated town the city expands by winning matches and unlocking achievements. I created five versions of the colosseum style building at the bottom centre, textures used by a graphic artist for the ground's surface and the lighting setup. Thanks to the stationary camera I was able to create a system where each building uses a mental ray render for it's source texture, thus optimizing the otherwise poor Wii rendering capabilities. The bulk of my work on this project was developing that system and creating all the tools used to modify, render and export FIFA City.
This football version of Jimmy is based off an earlier baseball version I made. It was the first character created for football and his helmet and jersey served as the template for most of the other characters. This time around we were asked to create fabric detail so I upgraded the pants, shoes and accessories. He is only 5092 triangles, to fit within the Wii's constraints. Pictured right is the redesign I did for baseball Jimmy's lucky rabbit's foot.
I did the lighting for these Baseball environments using Mental Ray.
These more or less use two 1024x1024 texture pages of lightmaps per environment as well as vertex colouring.
I also created the low poly trees in Concrete Canyon, Meadowbrook and other environments.
These are some of the characters I put together for Rock Revolution Wii. They are based off the Xbox 360/PS3 models and concept art. I was asked to change their proportions and clothing to suit a younger audience as well make the necessary reductions to fit within the Wii's constraints. Each of them are about 6200 triangles.
This generic head was created as part of a prototype player model for next gen platforms. Generally with sports titles a head model such as this is used as the starting point for all the unique player heads. I modelled this head using the average facial proportions of hundreds of male athletes as a guide. The UV layout was designed to have a relatively uniform resolution; especially at the seams where I did my best to have the resolution match. I threw together a light skinned test texture as it was the most difficult to convincingly shade in a bright daytime environment.
This was my first facial rig which became the template for all the facial rigs used in the projects above. It was created using skin weighting, no muscle deformers or blend shapes. There is a total of 28 joints which drive the face and neck movement.
I created the soft detail texture as part of a cgfx shader I was tasked to prototype. The texture proved to be quite versatile. My coworkers and I have used it to add soft detail to many textures for various projects; including FIFA Wii and the Backyard Sports titles pictured above.